I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.
Released: September 18th 2018
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper #3
“Once it gets going you can’t help but be swept up for the macabre ride!”
~ Under the Covers
This was one of my most anticipated reads of this month, maybe this year? I’ve come to care for the main characters in this series and I find them endearingly adorable. I can never get enough! And what a way to deliver a twisted story that Ms. Maniscalco has. This book has a bit of everything and just reiterates my love for this series. Once it gets going you can’t help but be swept up for the macabre ride!
Top 3 reasons to read ESCAPING FROM HOUDINI:
- The romance: Audrey Rose and Thomas Creswell are endearing and this book finally sees them as a couple more. Even if Audrey Rose does her usual thing and has to cause some tension. Thomas Creswell is so funny and charming you can’t help but fall for him a little bit more with every installment. If that is even possible!
- The atmosphere: While I’m not going to say this was the most complicated mystery, I couldn’t have loved the atmosphere more. It’s set on a ship and the main entertainment for the passengers is a macabre traveling circus featuring the not-so-famous yet Harry Houdini. During each performance, though, a new dead body is discovered with a tarot calling card that points to the performers.
- The angst: I’m not a big fan of angst but I love seeing Audrey Rose make some questionable decisions as this series goes on and this book is no different. She gets herself in the worst of circumstances to the point you have to wonder how things will turn out for her. All the time. Maybe in this one more so than others. There’s more than the danger she gets herself in. This time, her decisions involve/affect members of her family and Thomas as well.
I was so happy to have discovered this series because it’s something different. It mixes some of the gothic atmosphere with old school sleuthing and takes unsolved mysteries and interesting historic characters and twists them into a story you can’t look away from. Now I’m just sad there’s only one more book left!
“Oh good,” Thomas said blandly, “I was hoping they’d wheel the dead out before dessert. Entrails go better with the main course, don’t you agree, Wadsworth?” He crinkled his nose. “Totally wrong for sweets.”
“Ladies. You are all stunning this evening.” He placed a hand around one ear, tilting his head to the side. “Did you hear that? I believe it was the sound of hearts shattering across the room. Do be careful as you step over bloody shards.”
“Truth is poison. Beware how much you ingest at once.”
What did you think of our review?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment box below!
♡ Don’t want to miss any of our posts? ♡
- The New Guy by Sarina Bowen Book Review - February 28, 2023
- Court of the Vampire Queen by Katee Robert Book Review - October 18, 2022
- A Merry Little Meet Cute by Julie Murphy and Sierra Simone Holiday Romance Review - October 8, 2022