I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.
Released: February 4, 2014
Genre: BDSM, Erotic Romance
“I think fans and new readers alike will flock to the Mastered series. I know when I pick up anything by this author, I will be thoroughly satisfied and enjoy the ride.” ~Under the Covers
I have been anticipating this book for a while now. I love Lorelei James and couldn’t wait to see her writing an erotic romance not about cowboys. There are many things that I liked about BOUND.
1. I love the hero. Ronin Black is, in two words, sexy and intense. Boy! Is he intense! With the martial arts background, the tragic past you know it’s lurking beneath the surface, the mixed heritage…the love of tying women up. This guy is focused to a fault, he gives his all without cracking a smile and reluctantly lets his heroine in. But just a bit. He’s tough one to crack!
2. Amery is a strong heroine. She is immediately attracted to Ronin even when it doesn’t seem wise or healthy. But she’s always standing on her own two feet. Not co-dependent of Ronin.
I was really impressed with the amount of research that shows through this book. The complexity of the martial arts not as the current fascination that people have now with jiu-jitsu, now promoted in the Brazilian style. Ronin is part Japanese and what he teaches at his dojo, and what he believes in, is the true beauty of martial arts. What they were always meant to be. They mean something and should be used with respect. I loved that Ms. James decided to go in this route instead of just a bunch of tough guys wanting to beat each other up!
Then there’s the BDSM aspect of this book. I don’t think I would really want to label this book as BDSM. Yes, this is part of the book. But with Ronin, Shibari/Kinbaku (ropes technique) is part of his heritage. Part of that Japanese mystique that I described above with the martial arts. It’s another extension of who he is, without getting into the kinky that people somehow expect to read about. Ms. James showcased it as beautiful art, that has the potential of being freeing and erotic.
This book is told from Amery’s POV. Although I really liked her, I sometimes missed being able to see inside Ronin’s thoughts. As I said before, he’s intense and doesn’t give you a hint what could be going through his mind. And at times, he was utterly a jerk! I need to see that other side. Desperately. Ronin Black will just leave you wanting to fix and heal him yourself!
Be prepared for an unexpected twist at the end of this story! Just when I thought things were wrapping up nicely there was a curve ball thrown my way.
All in all, job well done Ms. James. I think fans and new readers alike will flock to the Mastered series. I know when I pick up anything by this author, I will be thoroughly satisfied and enjoy the ride.
*ARC provided by publisher
Did you like this review? If so, please tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
We have a copy of BOUND up for grabs! US only.
- The New Guy by Sarina Bowen Book Review - February 28, 2023
- Court of the Vampire Queen by Katee Robert Book Review - October 18, 2022
- A Merry Little Meet Cute by Julie Murphy and Sierra Simone Holiday Romance Review - October 8, 2022